17 June 2022

Carp-a-looza!

 17 June 2022--Last Saturday we visited a local attraction about a half hour from C&Js place, "The Spillway" at Pymatuning State Park.  It's been a big attraction since the 1930s because of the amount of carp in these waters--you've truly never seen anything like it.  

   

As we approached the water, all you can see initially is that there are a whole bunch of Canadian geese--surprisingly there weren't but a few babies, but I caught a couple in the 2nd pic here.

  

You have to enlarge the pics to see just how many carp are here...it's like the waters are boiling with them.  

  

And check out this video--there are huge fish here, no little ones to be seen--I'm sure they wouldn't survive the scrum.  (Remember, to enlarge the video, click on it, then hit the little square in the lower right-hand corner.  To make it small again, hit the "esc" button at the top left of your keyboard.)  You really have to enlarge all of these pics to get a true feel of just how many fish are fighting for some food.

  

Caja told me that when she was younger people used to throw whole loaves of bread in the water, bag and all, just to see the fish tear it apart.  Thank God we are a much gentler society today--lol.

     

We try to take a walk most days and I always take my phone in case I see something worth sharing.  Here's some pretty flowers and just a lone tree in an empty field, but still pretty.

   

These flowers are so big and heavy they are posing as American Quarter Horses--all droopy and depressed looking! lol

  

A relic from the set of Gilligan's Island, the "S.S. Minnow".  C&Js pontoon boat has been stripped bare--you have to bring your own chair--lol.  Caja built the box that houses the steering wheel--Jeannie put the steering wheel together.  (Very clever women!)  That's their house from the middle of the lake looking in.

  

Another day we went over to C&Js 'almost relatives' place, about 15 minutes away.  They have quite an operation going, from chickens to vegetable and fruit gardens.  They were on vacation a few days so Jeannie had to go over daily to feed the chickens and gather the eggs, and gather any asparagus that needed gathering.  

  

I feel like there were only maybe 15 or so chickens, but this day they gathered like 26 eggs I think.  Caja talks to them and apologizes for disturbing them. lol 

  

They actually have 3 or 4 gardens, planting asparagus, potatoes, lettuce, etc, and a separate area that has strawberries and blueberries.  Now this may not be very interesting to most people, but I've never seen asparagus in the ground before, so I took some pics to share with those of you who may have always wondered what it looked like in the ground--lol--I'm sure a whole bunch of you are clamoring as I speak to enlarge these pics. lol  (I was a little surprised that they weren't more in bunches.)

  

So that's all the excitement I have to share this week.  Cathy and I will be heading out next Wednesday for our road trip back to Ft Myers, making a couple stops along the way for sightseeing and visiting a couple friends.  We'll be posting again soon.

12 comments:

  1. I haven’t really seen peonies growing since we left ME. My three plants in NH weren’t nearly as healthy as ME. I love peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Marilyn J I wrote about the peonies earlier. Those carp are unbelievable. They would have helped the ME lakes a whole lot because they eat the milfoil which is an invasive type of water plant. Go figure. I’d much rather have fish than fugly plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your trip. I’ve seen lots of carp in my life but nothing like what you filmed.
    Looking forward to your return. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I guess that was the feeding spot for the carp. They really think “safe yourself”🤣
    You make really beautiful pictures Paula. Like the flower pictures very much. Also the field with that only tree in the middle gives a beautiful perspective.
    I didn’t know C&J were farmers. Looks very natural what they doing.
    Safe travels back on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a city kid, I was never really into flowers until Cathy and I started RVing all over the country. There are so many pretty flowers to be seen--I love taking pics of them!

      Delete
  5. All those fish!!! Are they not edible?
    Nice pics of the Asparagus. I saw it growing the first time this year also. It’s very interesting, you plant it once and it comes back every year I’m told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were told they are absolutely edible, they are eaten all over the world, but you need to know how to filet them cause they have a lot of bones.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures. Love the video clips. Too MANY carp. N& S

    ReplyDelete
  7. All i can say about carp is wow! What a pretty place to live. Have a great time. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so weird, Carp-a-looza has always been my nickname for Twitter...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula and Cathy, it was so nice to see Caja and Jeanne’ other life in Pennsylvania through your “lens”! You gals sure had a great adventure together. So many special and priceless memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those fish were amazing!! Little surprised that asparagus grows one at a time, must be a lot of work pulling them

    ReplyDelete